Emergency: If you need emergency transportation (an ambulance), call 911.
Non-emergency: AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina can arrange and pay for your transportation to help you get to and from your appointments for Medicaid-covered care. This service is at no cost to you if you need an attendant to go with you to your health care provider appointment. If your child (18 years old or younger) is a member of the plan, the transportation is also covered for the attendant, parent or guardian. Non-emergency transportation includes personal vehicles, taxis, vans, mini-buses, mountain area transports and public transportation.
How to get non-emergency transportation: Call ModivCare, our transportation provider, at 1-833-498-2262 up to two business days before your appointment to arrange transportation to and from your appointment.
Calls for trip reservations can be made Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. A customer service representative will ask for the following information:
- Your full name, current address and phone number
- Your Medicaid ID number
- The date of your appointment
- The name, address and phone number of where you are going
- The name, address and phone number of your health care provider
- The medical reason you need a ride
- The type of appointment (for example: health care provider, lab test, therapy)
- The type of assistance or mobility aid you require
Please have this information ready when you call.
What services can I get a ride to?
You can get a ride to and from medical appointment if:
- The service is covered
- You are seen by an in-network health care provider
- The appointment is to a health care provider near where you live. You may need another approval if the provider is far away. If you have questions about transportation, call Member Services at 1-855-375-8811 (TTY 1-866-209-6421).
What do I do after I schedule my trip?
Please note: This does not apply to bus trips.
- The driver will call you and tell you the time you will be picked up and give you their phone number. Keep this number handy.
- Be ready 60 minutes before your pickup time.
- The driver can come to your door to help you if you need it. The driver cannot come into your home.
- If you have a scheduled ride back, your driver should pick you up within 30 minutes after your appointment is over.
- If you must call your driver for pickup after your appointment, your ride should arrive in less than 60 minutes.
- If you have to wait longer than 60 minutes, call the number the driver gave you.
- Call "Where's My Ride?" at 1-833-498-2262 to check the status or if your ride does not show up.
How do I get gas reimbursement?
You may be able to get help with gas costs if you have a car, or a caregiver, family member, friend or neighbor who can drive you. This must be approved before your appointment. Call the transportation provider at 1-833-498-2262 for more information.
What do I do if I need to cancel or change my trip?
Call the transportation provider's Ride Assist Line at 1-833-498-2262 with any changes or to cancel your appointment. Please call as soon as you know of the change. If you do not keep your appointment, you will be marked as a no-show.
- You must call at least two business days before your appointment to schedule your ride.
- You will need to know the street address, city and ZIP code for the location of your appointment.
If transportation services are denied, you have the right to appeal our decision. Read more information on appeals. If you have questions about transportation, call Member Services at 1-855-375-8811 (TTY 1-866-209-6421).