What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a government program that provides health care coverage for low-income adults, children, pregnant women, seniors, people with disabilities and eligible individuals requiring long-term care.
What is Medicaid managed care?
Medicaid managed care is a program in which a state provides prepaid health plans to deliver health care services to Medicaid beneficiaries. The goal of Medicaid managed care is to reduce overall medical costs and promote better health outcomes.
Many people get their health benefits through managed care, which helps coordinate and manage all their health care services.
How can Medicaid managed care help you?
Managed care has many advantages, including:
- Help to improve access to care and health education for better outcomes.
- A coordinator who can help you navigate your care plan.
- Increased focus on creating healthy opportunities, such as better access to food, housing and education services.
Who is AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina?
AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina is a Prepaid Health Plan that has been contracted by the state to offer managed care services to Medicaid beneficiaries. For more than 35 years, the AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies has been delivering Medicaid health care solutions to the people who need it most. AmeriHealth Caritas is a national leader and committed partner to helping people get care, stay well and build healthy communities.
To learn more about our plan, call AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina Member Services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 1-855-375-8811 (TTY 1-866-209-6421).
How will AmeriHealth Caritas help North Carolinians?
At AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina, we proudly focus on whole-person care, connecting eligible members to services, such as:
- Additional vision benefits for qualifying adult members.
- A cellphone at no cost, with monthly minutes and texts for qualifying members.
- Gift cards and rewards for making healthy choices.
- Weight loss program membership for qualifying members.
- Education benefits, like GED diploma assistance for qualifying members.
- Home educational visits and more for children with asthma.
Over the next few months, this website will expand to include detailed information about our provider network, benefits, health programs and resources available to our members.
As of November 2019, North Carolina has suspended the transition of Medicaid to managed care.
You will continue to get your Medicaid services the same way you do now from the state. Your coverage will not change. You can continue to receive services from your current primary care provider. You do not need to choose a health plan at this time.
For more information, please visit the Medicaid Managed Care Questions and Answers for Beneficiaries, or call our Member Services Line at 1-855-375-8811 (TTY 1-866-209-6421).