Over-the-Counter Medications and Products
AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina covers certain over-the-counter (OTC) medications and products with a prescription from a health care provider. The manufacturer of the medication must have a valid CMS rebate agreement. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Smoking deterrent agents (nicotine)
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Second-generation antihistamines
- Second-generation antihistamines decongestant combination products (quantity limits apply)
- Test strips
- Control solution
- Lancing device
- Pen needles
- Contraceptives, oral (levonorgestrel)
- Cathartics and laxatives — limited to polyethylene glycol 3350
This is not a comprehensive list. Exclusions may apply.
If you have questions about a member's pharmacy benefits or other AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina pharmacy-related questions, call PerformRx North Carolina Provider Services at 1-866-885-1406.
See information about prior authorizations on our Pharmacy Prior Authorization webpage.
Visit NCDHHS to review the Pharmacy Clinical Coverage Policies.